Saturday, December 15, 2012

Where Did All the Children Go






















Years ago I cut out a magazine photo of an old man
sitting on a swing on an empty playground asking:
Where did all the children go? I've used it many times
as a writing prompt.

Today I walked across the street to the park.
I didn't take a book, a notepad, a bit of knitting.
I took the camera.

I wanted a photo of the empty swings.
I wanted to memorialize all the children
in the Newtown, CT shootings.

I've spent a lifetime raising children,
teaching children and the massacre is
unimaginable.

Today I can only sit in the sun with the
empty swings and ask, Why?


1 comments:

Diane said...

This is a beautiful post -- your words have spelled this out so well. We may never know the why but I do feel the nation (and that includes up here too) needs to begin to acknowledge and take action to do something about those with mental health issues so these types of tragedies may be prevented. A very very tragic thing for those families and the community.