Monday, September 24, 2012

Corrugated Cloche

Crop Circles:
One has to believe that the purl rows circling
     the crown of the hat hold a mysterious message.


The corrugated rows create the shaping for the cloche.

In the 1940's a cloche was made of velvet or felt and worn to church or a nightclub.

The pattern designed by Sara Morris in the Spring 2012 issue 
of KNIT WEAR shows the hat worn with a sleeveless tee shirt. 
Time to update my assumptions.

My hat required less stitches, was knit with a larger needle, and a DK weight yarn.
Row eight: the corrugated row is made by inserting the right needle 
from bottom to top into the purl bump 6 rows below the first stitch
on the the left needle, place stitch onto left needle and knit it tog
with the stitch on left needle. Repeat for the desired length. I
reduced the number of repeats to correlate with my modified pattern.

All that I need now is a granddaughter to model my cloche creation.

0 comments: